To compare the seed germination, root development and top growth between SuperRootsTurf (with endo-mycorrhizae) and 16-16-16, the industry standard at seeding. To mimic field conditions, all the test pots were stressed by extended over-watering and drought. Test results from Mycorrhizal Applications Forest Grove, ORE.
The Trial Details
The trial began on 2-7-14 and ended on 4-11-14, the day these samples were harvested.
Soil – GCSA sand from T.E. Walrath.
Perennial Ryegrass seed from County Green Turf Farm – sown at 10# 1000 / ft2 February 7, 2014.
16-16-16 and SuperRootsTurf, applied at seeding 2/7/14.
Grow lights on during normal daylight hours, off at night.
Temperature at a constant 62 degrees.
16-16-16 pots on 2/11, no visible blades.
2/20 seed germination comparisons
Samples harvested 4/11/14
16-16-16 @ 5# 1000 ft2
16-16-16 & SRT@8oz 1000 ft2 combination
SRT 16oz-1000 ft2 (double the recommended, label rate)
SRT 8oz- 1000 ft2 (recommended rate)
The results speak for themselves:
- 25% faster germination (3+ days for SuperRootsTurf, 4+ days for 16-16-16) with a significant increase in the number of germinated seeds.
- 25% quicker blade emergence.
- More than 50% increase in visible root mass.
- Increased chlorophyll production evidenced by deeper green blade color.
- 66% less clipping yield due to the reallocation of plant resources to root development, not top growth which would result in reduced initial mowing and damage would lead to reduced water requirement when field planted.
SuperRootsTurf contains no phosphorus however it “mined” the nutrient from the planting media (sand, in this case) due to the fulvic acids in the product breaking down the molecular size of the nutrient, hastening the uptake by the roots (osmosis). The test showed the addition of 16-16-16 reduced the root mass significantly and hindered the movement of micro-nutrients to the blade viewed by the diminished color in the pots with 16-16-16.
Plant Essentials is more than pleased with the results of these tests, and is confident SuperRootsTurf will perform equally as well in the field when applied at seeding as directed on the label. Applying more than the label rate (8 oz. 1000/ft2) will not increase performance.
Neal Wolbert, President
Plant Essentials, LLC